Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Work


Work is good...
Work keeps my wee bitty mind busy....
There is no time in the back of a racing ambulance to think about food, and weight...
Sometimes a light goes off in my head and it says "Hold those belly muscles in".....
Breathe in...tight pull...... belly button to the spine, and back to work...........

I had a lovely 77 year old lady that had a heart rate would come up on the monitor as 0......now we all know that means death, but no....not with this lady.....
it would register as 0, then up to 14, then 60, then back to 0......
I would look, and wait in horror for her to clutch her chest, and pass out.....
It never happened........They (the ems Gods) say "treat your patient not the machine"
so I watched, and waited, observed, and watched, and she never became symtomatic....
I slowly let my schincters relax and decide to capture this on paper......I figure nobody will believe this........

I got it.....I got it....ON PAPER...a rhythm that looked very close to asystole with an oxygen saturation of 95% and a pulse of 0......it defies all logic......it was the weirdest thing ever in my carreer..........

Needless to say....I didnt have time for all my obsessions, my quircks, my bullshit war in my bitty brain.....it made me feel so alive to see someone so close to (on paper) death.............

1 comment:

I Hate to Weight said...

the "real" stuff does help put the number on the scale in perspective doesn't it? what an amazing experience! i hope you have more and more times when your mind is free of the dreadful ED.